Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The future



Trey turned 17 this morning. As he was walking out the door to seminary he turned to me and said "mom look at the time, 6:51". His time of birth. Why is it that I've had such a hard time with him getting older lately? I know why. I don't want him to leave us. Everytime I hear the word college or mission I have a pang of sadness. I never knew it would be this hard. But he's helping me see that he'll be just fine as he moves on to his new phases of life. Like when he was loading the dishwasher and I asked him to go ahead and start it and he remembered to run the disposal first. :) Like when he bore his testimony on Sunday and shared what he knew to be true. Hearing my child proclaim his knowledge and belief in the gospel is one of the best gifts I could receive. I wonder if they realize that? As I listened to him I couldn't help thinking he sounded like a missionary. I'm not ready yet, but I see him preparing himself.

Here's to the next 18 months!

5 comments:

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Oh my. My heart strings are being pulled. I think letting that first child grow up and leave home is the hardest thing a mother goes through. In the end, it's all OK, but it's a hard transition. Loved the baby picture of our first-born grandhild. Ahhhh, memories. Congratulations and happy 17th birthday, Trey!!

Lori said...

I'm so glad Trey was the first cousin born. He has reliably been the perfect example, possessing every good quality I want my own kids to emulate. Happy birthday, Trey!

julie said...

18 months??? NOOOOOO! I am feeling a little sick too. We Langfords want him here forever!

joelb said...

happy birthday, trey.

Troy said...

wait. what is this thing about using the disposal before running the dishwasher? is that for real?

Happy bday Trey-- what an awesome dude.