Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wisdom Teeth

Trey, 30 min. post surgery, still loopy and unknowingly drooling frosty all down his chin


This was the summer of getting your wisdom teeth.  Pretty much all the teenagers in our ward from the ages of 16 to 18 got their wisdom teeth out this summer, Trey and Allie included.  I was completely impressed with the system in place for getting them out.  They think of everything nowadays (steroid packs that practically eliminate swelling, wrap around your head ice packs) and it really is a pretty simple event.

Allie went first because she wanted to get it over with as soon as possible.  Trey had a busier schedule and finally got it done this week.  Allie did really well with recovery except for the dry socket!  (the Dr. said there is no real science as to what causes this, except that suction, say caused by a drinking a smoothie king with a straw bought 2 days after surgery, could be a possibility) I have to commend her on handling the pain.  I have often heard people say that a dry socket is the worst pain they have experienced.  Allie really was a trooper with the whole experience.  She had to go in 3 times to get the incision cite packed with clove gauze.

Trey only had 3 wisdom teeth. While Allie was a little frustrated and agitated coming out of the anesthesia, Trey on the other hand was talkative and happy.  Although I talked to him on the way home, picked up a frosty upon his request, he later said he didn't remember any of that.  I was talking to him as we went through the drive thru and then a few minutes later he "whoa, I don't remember getting that!" He kept repeating himself to me, which was quite entertaining.  For example, He was eating his frosty at the kitchen counter, and mumbled "oh, if I didn't already tell you this, thanks for the frosty mom".  Then he would just smile at me while I tried to hide my laughter and told him he just thanked me 5 minutes ago.  He also told me "oh, I do remember one thing, Dr. Brooks said I would recover faster than Allie".  (he was right...he went on a date the next night and is completely off pain pills on day 2)  Then about 10 minutes later he said the exact same thing to me with no recollection of saying it before.  When he asked me for the 3rd or 4th time if he woke up in the car because he didn't remember walking out to the car, I started thinking how this is what it would be like to live with some who had short term memory loss.  He also had 5 visitors within the first 30 minutes of being home, so they got to enjoy some of the goofy Trey as well.




8 comments:

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

In that pix of Trey, he looks perfectly normal--just an ordinary day slurping a frosty. Amazing!

Love the stories of his "forgetful" mind while still under the drugs. :)

Allie is used to pain; no wonder she could handle it so well.

Hooray that it's all done! Two down and three to go!

Lori said...

No video of loopy kids? Rats! I wonder if the triplets will all have it done in the same week too?

joelb said...

clove gauze?

Unknown said...

Way to go, Trey and Allie!
I really wish I'd been one of the visitors when Trey had his pulled.
So funny!

One more thing... I saw your post about the Father's Day edition of "Chopped", and I'm wondering why nobody commented on Trey's fashionable apron!

janelle said...

haha trey was so much to fun to talk to haha i cant believe i didnt visit allie though! haha

Samuel said...

Heh heh, that is amusing. Well, good luck to both of them, then. After the dentist and wisdom teeth, it's time to rest and take it easy for a while. It's still pretty uncomfortable when waiting for the mouth to finish healing, after all!

-Samuel Hershey

Brad said...

The said thing is I have Frosty dripping down my chin even when I *haven't* had my wisdom teeth out.

Rachel said...

my sister had to get hers out too. she looked like Trey, but felt like Allie, Lots and lots of pain!