Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hoops for Hope 2009












I can hardly even put into words the happiness that this event brings to our family. Hoops for Hope was something that Trey, with the help of David, decided he wanted to do for his Eagle Scout Project about 3 years ago. His vision was to have a day where children and adults with Down's Syndrome could come and play basketball and associate with the UT men's and women's basketball teams. I have to admit that I was not very hopeful that his idea would work. And at first it didn't. When Trey first tried to put this together, UT could not commit to doing it until the next year. I felt like that was too long to put off doing his eagle scout project and thought he should think of a new project. I had no vision. Thankfully Trey and David did. They could see that if they were patient they could create something really worthwhile. They waited until the next year and tried again. After many, many meetings this time UT was able to commit to a date. And after a lot more red tape and man hours it finally happened.

The first Hoops for Hope was in August 2008. Eveyone involved was incredible. The athletes, volunteers, sponsors, the kids were all just....happy. We just held the 2nd annual Hoops for Hope. The warm feelings that were felt last year were doubled this year. It was the kind of day that you just can't stop thinking about and want to remember forever. It appears we are going to be blessed to be able to hold it again next year....I am filled with love and appreciation for my son and my husband for having the courage, patience, diligence, and love that it took to make this event happen. This is something that I could have seen us volunteering to help out with, never one that I thought my son and husband would create and run.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Hooray for vision!

Anonymous said...

You mean HOOPray!

Awesome, Trey-- nice work!

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Ditto to the above and Lisa's post. Dad and I were in Utah last year and missed this event. We saw pictures, saw movies of it, but it was far better than we ever imagined. We were grateful to be a part of it this year and hope to be next year. Proud to be a grandparent of Trey Sexton. :)